Friday, July 30, 2010
So I have to write about my funny.....always a funny somewhere in the day. I spent the day at IMC playing instructor. All of my little chickens were in the OR, PACU or Cath lab, so I found myself just loitering. At one point I ended up in the waiting area for same day surgery. A rather large lady went buzzing by in her Jazzy chair. I marveled at how small her feet were. She was probably four hundred pounds or more with tiny, tiny feet. But she seemed very content cruising around on her scooter. Isn't freedom and mobility such a wonderful thing? There was a pharmacy kiosk very close to where I was sitting. I overheard her talking to the pharmacy and sending up a prescription for morphine for her fiance' that was being released from hospital today. The pharmacy informed her that she could not get the prescription, that he would need to get it. She was fine with that, left the prescription to be filled away and quickly whisked away on her Jazzy. Several minutes later she returned with her oxygen dependent but ambulatory friend. He let the pharmacy know that he was there and could pick up his prescription for his ever important pain medication. They told him to wait. Meanwhile the Jazzy girl took a few laps outside and back in. Again I marveled at her mobility. Finally the prescription was ready and it would cost $1.10. I couldn't see his face but you could tell by his voice that he was competely disheartened. "I don't have a dollar and ten cents" he said. "My friend doesn't either, I guess I will just have to call my mother." Meanwhile, Jazzy girl returned, suddenly all of her freedom was taken away for a dollar and ten cents. She mumbled something and left on her only form of freedom. I sat there for a moment and thought to myself....wow, how would it be to not have a dollar and ten cents. I don't have a lot of money. I have several thousands of dollars I will need to be paying for tuition in the next month, but I have a dollar and ten cents. I waited for a moment and then I stood up and said "I will pay for your prescription." I placed my debit card in the tube and it whisked away to pharmacy. He looked at me and very humbly said "thank you." Jazzy lady returned and he informed her that the cost was taken care of. I went and sat back down because I knew it would be a bit before phamacy got the prescription ready. I wasn't really paying attention but did acknowledge that the tube was coming back. A few seconds later the Jazzy lady handed me my card and said "thank you, that was so kind." I told her not to worry and I hoped he got better soon. I sat there for awhile and then it hit me....what if they wrote down my card number? What if part of it showed up on their receipt? Should I be worried? Umm, I called Lynsie and she exclaimed "MOM! I can't believe you did that! You better call and cancel your card!" The more I thought about it, the more I worried. So I called "Brody" at the bank and he said "Well, better be safe than sorry. These are strange times we live in. If they use your card, you would be liable because it was 'friendly' fraud. You gave them the card." Oh brother!! So I ended up canceling my card! What really hit me is that it is sad that I can't just be charitable and trust others. So, for one dollar and ten cents I don't have a debit card for ten days, but I still feel happy inside for helping someone. I hope that Jazzy lady stays free and mobile and that the poor patient gets some pain relief with his morphine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh that is so sad! I always remind myself that we are so blessed with so many items we really don't need in life. And that is way sad that you couldn't trust them. The world is just too much sometimes. Oh well not much you can do huh?
Post a Comment