Tuesday, August 11, 2009

White Water!!








So a very long time ago I nearly drowned in the Saratoga Springs swimming pool. I was with my primary group and was accidentally flipped into the deep end of the pool. The lifeguard had to jump in and rescue me. I was frightened and humiliated. I swore then that I would never get in the water again. I didn't learn to swim until I was a senior in high school. Over the years I have had several other troubling experiences with water. I have learned to overcome the fear somewhat. I can swim, I LOVE my wave runner and I am a scuba diver. I swore my children would not grow up with that fear and they are all little fish. They are excellent swimmers and do not fear the water. So this past weekend the entire family was planning to go down the snake river and raft the famous "Big Kahuana". Not me. but even at 48 years old, peer pressure won. Down the river I went. Our guides were Steve Parry and his daughter Lauren. They were amazing. Lauren quickly taught us the ropes and away we went. We had several "trial" rapids before the big one. I decided if I was going to die, I might as well do it facing a fear I had developed over many years. When we got close and entered the rapid, I simply closed my eyes and paddled. Amazingly enough....I survived! Yeah! I can live to be a troubled home care nurse for another day!

I dedicate this blog to Steve and Sharon and Lauren! Thanks for keeping me alive!

2 comments:

Melody said...

Oh my goodness! Look at you in that photo with your oar aloft, smiling in victory! "...if I was going to die, I might as well do it facing a fear." Yeah, you went, girl and you didn't "go" after all!!

Now I wish I had been there to see it in person... great photos of the whole fam. Great post. Love you.

The Bubs said...

Now you have to run the river when the air temperature is actually warmer than the water temp.