Thursday, September 30, 2010

So I find myself by the bedside of my dad at the hospital wondering a lot of things. He is sleeping but not peacefully. He keeps reaching out for things and mumbling. I wonder where he is?? He has made it very clear that he is ready to "check out." He said that Dr. Bennett told him if he stopped taking his medication that he would be committing suicide. I think it is more of an informed choice. But today I left Ruth Ann in charge!! I had to go to my ENPC class...wow...I have a headache. But the coolest thing was that my baby Karen was in the class!! Now that is funny. Who would have ever thought that I would be in a trauma class with cute Karen. I love her very much!!

Okay, back to dad...They think that he has something wrong with his adrenal glands. They are these amazing little glands that sit on top of your kidneys. They are sort of joined with your pituitary gland. Bottom line is that they affect your body's hormones. His "cortical steroid" level was 2.2 and it should be 10. That might be why he has such a low blood pressure, abdominal pain and extreme fatigue. Overall he is better than before he was admitted but still pretty weak. The plan will be to take him from the hospital and have him "rehab" for a few weeks in a rehab center. That will probably happen on Sunday. He is not overly excited about that because he would rather be home. So he is off hospice at the moment, headed to rehab and then the choice to decide if he can be safe at home or if he needs to be placed in an assisted living facility. His spirits are good. I think he realizes and accepts that he can't be home alone. He doesn't say much, but I can't imagine that it doesn't make him sad. He is such an independent little fellow.
And he doesn't look good in a dress. He would paddle me if he knew that I posted this picture so don't tell him!!
Vern...you are an amazing man and I love you very much!! But I pray daily that when it comes your time to go, that you can go in peace with dignity.

No comments: