Saturday, February 18, 2012

Say Goodbye to the House I grew up in and a Screwdriver

So everyone came over to grandpa's house today and took what they wanted of my mom and dad's earthly possessions. I was happy. They would have wanted it shared and with no contention. I wasn't sad until amidst the chaos I went looking for a screwdriver. I went down to his shop where there had always been one or two or even three screwdrivers. For 43 years I knew that I could find a screwdriver there until today. They were gone. Every single screwdriver was gone. I started to cry. I have not only lost my mom and my dad, but now every single one of his screwdrivers are gone. Well, not really gone, just taken to a new location by many hands. Guess I will have to start packing my own now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it weird what small things really set you off after your dad dying? Love you tons.

Natalie said...

This broke my heart.