Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Rolling Thunder

Rolling thunder woke me in the night,
The sound was so loud, it gave me a fright.

I thought to myself “I’m going to die!”
From this horrible sound coming out of the sky

The wind was howling, the rain started to fall,
But it was the lightening that was the scariest of all.

With each bolt of lightening I would lay there and count,
The fear and anxiety would begin to mount.

The children would scream in absolute fear,
To have the lightening storm so near.

Crackle, KABOOM then rumble, rumble, rumble
I expected the near by rocks to roll and tumble.

I am here at Lake Powell to enjoy the beautiful sight
I never dreamed of sounds that came out in the night

Rain, Rain, everything is wet,
How much more horrible could it possibly get?
The wind is so strong, the tent walls are shaking
A very scary sound this storm is making.

Not soon enough the storm front moved on,
The wind died down and the rain was gone.

But off in the distance the sky would be bright,
With big bolts of lightening all through the night

We were all left to clean up the mess and dry out our stuff
From the looks of Melody, the night had been rough

But we are blessed to be here together
We are family and friends, no matter the weather.

The earth had been cleansed with the wind and the rain,
They take a little rest only to return once again.

I dedicate this to my friend Melody


2 comments:

Melody said...

I love your poem. You captured it! Thank you for the dedication.

Happy Harrison said...

I love this!!! I, of course, was not there to partake in all the, shall we say...excitement?, but from the accounts that my mom and Sara gave, this sounds about right!